What do you need to know about selecting a third party last mile provider?
When it comes to logistics, the last mile is always the most important one in the supply chain.
What is last mile delivery?
It is the movement of goods from a transportation depot or hub to the final destination. It is the final connection between your products and your customers, and often a key differentiator between you and your competitors. Your third party last mile provider should be as concerned with representing your company, as your company is with providing the best customer service to your customer.
Outside of pricing considerations, you must also evaluate several factors before conducting business with a third party last mile contractor:
- Are they financially secure? Thoroughly review their claims experience and contact their references!
- Is there ownership or management involvement? High ranking employees should be actively working to implement best practices, improve processes and overall service.
- Will there be dedicated operational staff that you can contact? Having a regular point-of-contact familiar with your business is critical when facing challenges.
- Is there ongoing training, and certification where required, of all customer facing personnel? Third party logistics provider personnel that interact with your customers are an extension of your business. Ongoing training and the most current certifications should be a mandatory requirement.
- Are they licensed and insured to meet or exceed industry standards? Rest at ease and limit liability by ensuring your service provider is fully covered under the requirements of your industry.
- Have they secured the necessary assets and transportation network to cover the territories you serve?
- Do they offer technology that integrates with your systems? Check the box on technology compatible with your current operations.
- Do they offer monitoring and real-time status updates on all deliveries? 24/7 transparency into shipment tracking will allow you to resolve problems swiftly, and provides insights to prevent future occurrences.
- Are there communications systems and protocols in place to confirm delivery, or notify of any delays? Standard operating procedures to confirm receipt and keep you up-to-speed on any issues experienced in the supply chain.
- What is their flexibility in offering a range of delivery options to satisfy your customer’s needs? If you provide time sensitive products to your customer, this is imperative.
- Does the Management Reporting tool provide the information you need to see? Data is a powerful resource to shape strategy and keep your business moving forward. Ensure these logistics reports enable you to make informed decisions.
- What are their aftercare service procedures – from touchup, to removal of the old merchandise and debris, to full reverse logistics services? A third party logistics provider’s job is never done, and there is always room for improvement.
Once you have discussed the questions we’ve outlined above, you should be fully confident in the third party provider you choose for your last mile deliveries.
What We Do:
In business for over 50 years, Expak Logistics has an established and extensive network of transportation providers and facilities throughout the United States, allowing us to create maximum efficiencies which deliver the greatest value. Our expert team of transportation and supply chain specialists custom tailor reporting, tracking, visibility, delivery, warehousing and fulfillment systems to your exact needs.
How We Do It:
Through our unwavering approach to continuous improvement and customer satisfaction, Expak Logistics furnishes the best-suited provider for every aspect of a customer’s specifications, no matter how complex, for all distribution and supply chain needs. The knowledge and experience of the Expak Logistics management team combined with the application of value-added technologies tailored to our client-specific needs, allows for seamless integration with your existing systems, policies, and processes. Our priority is always managing and maintaining a secure chain of custody for your products, thus freeing our clients to focus on their core competencies.